Figs, Sweet and Savory

on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The other day I came across a small container of the most beautiful fresh figs, you could just smell their sweetness! I knew I had to make something special with them. We're huge fig fans here and my hubby loves a good custard pie, so when I saw this recipe while searching the Internet, I knew instantly it would be a match made in heaven!


My version I tweaked a little, I didn't have an 8" tart pan so I used my 9" one, I also wanted to lighten it up a bit so I used half and half instead of heavy cream, and 2% milk instead of whole milk. It took longer to bake but I just kept checking it til the custard didn't wiggle anymore and was completely set. I also doubled the custard amount because my pan was larger, but ended up with some left over. The result was outstanding, and the hubby was a very happy man!



This is a great appetizer to get your sweet and salty fix. We love the taste of fig with warm brie cheese, in fact we often buy a jar of this wonderful fig spread that Whole Foods carries and put it over a wedge of brie that's been warmed up a little. It's so good!! These little one bite wonders give you that same flavor but with the added bonus of proscuitto! Your eyes will roll as you taste the combination! I'm not kidding!!


All you have to do is quarter your figs, stick a skewer through them, place a small cube of brie on the side and then wrap with a strip of proscuitto. They're fragile, so I used my inside grill pan, but you can certainly do them outside if you have a smaller hole grill pan on top of your grates.
Just cook for a couple of minutes to crisp up the proscuitto and melt the cheese a bit.

Only use sweet, juicy ripe figs they are the key to both recipes!!


Buon Appetito!