Grill Up A Romaine Salad!

on Monday, June 29, 2009

Want a different take on your salad? Try it grilled! This was new to me, having never done this before, but something I wanted to try for a while. My inspiration came after I saw Lori Lynn grill up some escarole wrapped in prosciutto!

I put a little different twist on mine by using romaine lettuce that was washed and completely dried, I cut it straight down the middle, brushed it with olive oil, salt and black pepper, then sprinkled grated Parmesan all over the top. Next, placed it cut side down on a hot clean grill just for a few minutes until grill marks appear. Carefully move to a platter and let cool.
The dressing was made fresh with a handful of parsley and basil that I snipped from my garden, a zest of one lemon and all the juice, some salt and pepper and finished by drizzling in some good olive oil.

This was surprisingly good, the hubby loved it and so did I, and the grilled tomatoes on the side made it even better! Next time you throw a steak, chicken or chop on your grill think of this as a side.

GARDEN UPDATE

Hubby's green thumb is proving true, everything is lush and green in our garden. The tomato plants are bushy and tall with little tomato's starting to come out all over. Peppers are arriving as well as tiny zucchini and eggplant, as you can see the broccoli is coming along and so is my Swiss chard. I can't wait to cook with all of this! We've already had salads with some greens we planted, and some onions. I'm happy to say I don't have to buy any herbs from the store, I now can walk out and get my own!! Woo Hoo!

Buon Appetito!