Chocolate Ricotta Tart

on Saturday, May 7, 2011

First of all I'd like to wish all the mothers out there a very Happy Mother's Day! To celebrate I thought I'd share something sweet with you today. This is a tart made with rich dark chocolate, ricotta, rum, grated orange rind and walnuts, it's absolutely wonderful! Just put on a pot of coffee or your favorite espresso and your all set!




I was fortunate to be the winner of this awesome bar of rich dark Jacques Torres chocolate over by my friend Pat's blog, Mille Fiori Favoriti. Pat has lived in New York City her entire life. If you want to visit NYC I highly recommend you check out her blog, she'll make you want to pack your bags ASAP!



Jacques Torres known as "Mr Chocolate" is ranked as one of the top pastry chefs of the world, so I knew I was in for a real treat! The second I opened up the bar and unraveled the paper the smell was so intoxicating! Oh, and there's a reason why it's called a Big Daddy Bar, this thing was huge!

I saw this poster in a chocolate shop and thought it was very appropriate for this post.


Here's the recipe!

The filling consists of, 4 1/2 oz of semisweet dark chocolate, broken into pieces, 1 cup ricotta cheese, 1/3 cup confectioners sugar, 2 tbsp dark rum, finely grated rind of half an orange, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts.


If you're adventurous you can make your own double pie crust or just buy a good quality one like I did.

Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water. Mix together the ricotta, confectioners sugar, grated orange rind, rum, vanilla and walnuts, mixing evenly. Roll out dough to fit into a 9" tart pan with removable bottom. Spoon the ricotta mixture evenly into the pastry, it will be thick, don't worry. Roll the remaining dough and cut into strips to form a lattice top. Place on a baking sheet in a preheated 350F oven for 35-40 minutes, until firm and golden.
ENJOY!


Recipe adapted from Frame by Frame Italian