Roasted Cod with Cherry Tomatoes

on Saturday, July 24, 2010

My local Whole Foods had a 3 day sale on Alaskan cod this weekend so I scooped some up and made this for dinner, I couldn't resist the pristine white fish that was sitting all pretty in the showcase window.

If you're a reader of my blog you know I love roasted tomatoes of any kind especially those little cherry and Campari tomatoes. I use them often adding them to many dishes I cook, I just love the deep robust flavor they add.


My garden is filled with all different varieties and colors and I'm just now beginning to reap the benefits, so I hope you don't mind, but I'll be posting more upcoming recipes using them.


My husband said this was the best fish I ever made, but then again he says that often, he's a good guy! But I must say the flavors were really awesome, so awesome that I ran out today to pick up more fish before the sale was over.

For this dish do your tomatoes ahead of time. I like to roast mine on a small sheet pan covered with foil it's seems to hold all the juice from the tomatoes and olive oil much better and that's a good thing, because I just can't bare for any of that to burn off. I also always add shaved garlic and some kind of a fresh herb like thyme, basil or oregano. Roast at 400 until they split and blister and the juice runs out.

To prepare the fish, place the fillets in a shallow baking dish drizzled with olive oil.
Season the fish with salt, pepper, and a little paprika.
Squeeze half a lemon all over, then cover the fish with a few thin slices of lemon and a quick drizzle of olive oil.
Add fresh thyme branches and kalamata olives.
Now take those luscious roasted tomatoes along with all the juice that's infused with garlic and olive oil and place that in amongst the fish. Bake in a hot oven at 450 until fish is opaque. Let it rest for 5 minutes then garnish with parsley.


Enjoy the rest of your weekend and Buon Appetito!