Stuffed Tomahawk Pork Chop

on Tuesday, February 28, 2012

There's a new market that opened up in my area and I've been like a kid in a candy store trying out  some of their different products and produce, cuts of meat, fish and fabulous bakery, I could go on and on about this place and I will at a later date as I've been invited to a private tour in a few weeks from now.
The first time I went I couldn't resist the tomahawk pork chops that were sitting in the meat case, these things are huge, think Flintstone style, and resemble a small axe, hence the name tomahawk!
Berkshire pork is prized for it's juiciness, flavor and tenderness, it's the prime rib of the pork loin and  weighs in at around 1pound!
I never cooked one before but the minute I saw it I knew I was going to stuff it so I asked the butcher to cut me a nice deep pocket, which he happily did!
My stuffing consisted of crumbled feta cheese, sliced sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, grated lemon peel and chopped fresh spinach. I used my indoor grill pan to brown it first before I stuffed it then seasoned it with salt, pepper and a sprig of rosemary. I secured the opening with 3 wooden skewers then finished baking it in the same grill pan at 375 in the oven until meat thermometer reached 145.
This is very impressive and easily feeds 2 hungry people, and the flavor? Well all I can say is that it's out of this world! Go try and hunt one down!

Buon Appetito!